The State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) requires all applicants to submit fingerprints for a national criminal history background check. This includes applicants for a:
• Standard certificate
• Probationary certificate
• Educational aide certificate
• One-year certificate
• Temporary teaching certificate
Applicants for certification residing in Texas must submit their fingerprint results using the Texas Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) approved vendor, MorphoTrust.
- The applicant submits payment of $35.00 in order to conduct the national criminal history background check through DPS, FBI and Texas Education Agency. This fee must be paid in the Educator Certification Online System (ECOS).
- The applicant is issued an email with fingerprint information once the online payment has been made. A fingerprinting appointment cannot be scheduled without this document. A valid photo ID is required at the time of the appointment.
- Applicants use Texas MorphoTrust locations. Applicants are required to pay an additional $10.00 fee for scanning of fingerprints at the time of the appointment.
- TEA receives the fingerprinting results 5-7 business days after the fingerprint appointment.
Applicants for certification residing Out-of-State and Out-of-Country who do not have access to printing via the electronic submission of fingerprints may use the ink and roll card method.
- The applicant submits payment of $35.00 in order to conduct the national criminal history background check through DPS, FBI and Texas Education Agency. This fee must be paid in ECOS. Note: An employing school district may request you be fingerprinted again using the electronic fingerprint method. An additional fee will be required in this instance to the electronic fingerprint provider.
- The applicant will be mailed a fingerprint card packet to the address listed in ECOS with additional instructions once online payment has been made.
- MorphoTrust assesses a $10.00 fee for scanning of fingerprints. This fee is required whether your prints are digitally scanned or if the ink and roll card is used. Individual law enforcement agencies may assess an additional fee to roll your fingerprints.
- TEA receives the fingerprint card results eight weeks after the fingerprint cards are submitted for processing.
All applicants for Texas educator certification must complete the national criminal history background check through DPS and FBI. There are no exemptions for those who fingerprinted in another state.