This page describes Subchapter E charters. These charters are sometimes called university charters.
The commissioner of education may grant open-enrollment charters to public colleges and universities. These schools must operate on a campus of the college or university or in the same county as the college or university. See Texas Education Code (TEC), Chapter 12, Subchapter E §12.152.
Applying for a Subchapter E Charter
Prior to completing and submitting an application for consideration, applicants are required to attend an applicant conference. For more information, and to schedule an applicant conference, contact the Division of Charter School Administration at (512) 463-9575.
Required Resources and Information
In addition to the charter application, the following templates must be used in response to the attachments noted. The application template and attachments, when combined, for a complete application document.
- Attachment Coversheets (PDF, 64 KB)
- Attachment A3 Sample Letter (PDF, 27 KB) and Statement of Impact Form (PDF, 510 KB) (Applicants provide these to districts and charters in the proposed attendance/geographic boundaries.)
- Attachment F3 Financial Plan Workbook (PDF, 381 KB), (Excel, 489 KB)
- Attachment G2 Biographical Affidavit (PDF, 1,463 KB)
- Attachment O2 Staffing Chart (PDF, 1,394 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (CEO) (PDF, 582 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (Other) (PDF, 565 KB)
Selected Laws and Rules Applicable to Open-Enrollment Charters
The links below reference some of the laws and rules that apply to charters:
An application must describe an education program that is unique to the applicant. An applicant that plagiarizes or copies any other application does not meet this standard.
If you have any questions about
the information on this page, contact the Division
of Charter School Administration at (512) 463-9575.
Charter School Administration
1701 North Congress Avenue
Phone: (512) 463-9575