This page describes Subchapter E charters. These charters are sometimes called university charters.
The commissioner of education may grant open-enrollment charters to public colleges and universities. These schools may operate on a campus of the college, university, or junior college or at another location in any county in the state as deemed appropriate by the commissioner of education after considering the number of existing charters in the area and the needs of the community. See Texas Education Code (TEC), Chapter 12 (Outside Source), Subchapter E §12.152.
Applying for a Subchapter E Charter
The application cycle is now
most recent, yet outdated, Instructions and Guidelines (PDF, 326 KB) document
is provided as a reference tool only. It is anticipated that the next
application cycle will open in the fall of 2016 and have a scheduled school
start date in the Fall of 2018. Once released, the document will provide applicants
with the complete timeline and detailed information pertaining to the
completion of an application in response to the Generation Twenty-Two Request
for Application (RFA).
Applicant Information Sessions
Required Resources and Information
materials are provided as reference and resource ONLY. New forms will be made
available with the release of the Generation Twenty-Two application.
Twenty-One College or University Charter Application (PDF, 2,560 KB)
In addition to the charter application and required attachments, the following attachments are also required of applicants and the following links provide additional necessary information for submitting an application:
- Attachment A4 Sample Letter (PDF, 27 KB) and Statement of Impact Form (PDF, 523 KB) (Applicants provide these to districts and charters in the proposed attendance/geographic boundaries.)
- Attachment E1 Curriculum Scope and Sequence (PDF, 1,291 KB)
- Attachment F3 Financial Plan Workbook (PDF, 1,291 KB), (Excel, 498 KB)
- Attachment G2 Biographical Affidavit (PDF, 1,037 KB)
- Attachment O2 Staffing Chart (PDF, 1,343 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (CEO) (PDF, 598 KB)
- Attachment O3 Supplemental Human Resources Information Form (Other) (PDF, 596 KB)
- Special Assurances Document
An application must describe an education
program that is unique to the applicant. An applicant that plagiarizes
or copies any other application does not meet this standard.
Selected Laws and Rules Applicable to Open-Enrollment Charters
The links below reference some of the laws and rules that apply to charters:
If you have any questions, contact the Division
of Charter School Administration by e-mail at CharterSchools@tea.texas.gov or by phone at (512) 463-9575.
Division of Charter School Administration
1701 North Congress Avenue
Phone: (512) 463-9575