If you hold a valid Texas classroom teaching certificate and a bachelor's degree you may add classroom certification areas by completing the appropriate examination. You must register for the test through the appropriate testing company. Once you have passed the test you must log in to your account, verify your scores and apply for the certificate.
Additional Certification by Examination Steps:
- The name on your certificate must match the photo I.D. you will show at the testing site. Email TEA to complete a name change if needed.
- Register for the exam with the appropriate testing company. TEA is not the testing company.
- Log in to your educator account, to verify your passing scores and select Applications.
- Select Additional Certification by Examination and complete the application.
- The new certificate area will be added to your existing certificate pending a clean background check.
Certification by Examination is Not Available for:
- Initial certification
- Teachers of Students with Visual Impairments
- A certificate other than classroom teacher (e.g. School Counselor, Principal, Superintendent, Learning Resources/School Librarian, Educational Diagnostician)