Frequently Asked Questions
IMPORTANT: You will need to have the latest version of FitnessGram®, which is version 8.6. If your district purchased the web based version, it is 9.1.
- When can I begin to upload FitnessGram® data to TEA and what is the deadline?
- What physical fitness tests are required?
- What do I do about students who were absent on the testing day?
IMPORTANT: Make sure that all test results have been entered before creating the export file for TEA.
- We are a new school and don't have the FitnessGram® software. Where can I get it?
- Do I need to have the web based version of FitnessGram®?
- How and where do I update my FitnessGram® software?
- How do I get my PEIMS data into Excel so that I can save it as a .csv file and import it into FitnessGram®?
- How do I assign unassigned students, move or promote students?
- How many export files will there be for my district?
- I'm having issues with FitnessGram®; who do I contact for support?
TEASE access to PFAI (Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative)
- Do I need a TEASE account?
- How do I apply for a TEASE account?
- I have applied for PFAI on TEASE; why is it taking so long to get approved?
- I have a TEASE account; how do I get access to the PFAI application?
- I have a TEASE account; how do I reset my password?
- I've forgotten my UserName; how do I retrieve it?
PFAI Application: Data Upload
- How do I get access to the PFAI application?
- How do I upload the data file to TEA?
- My campus name does not match; how do I resolve this?
- I have unassigned school; how do I resolve this?
- How do I resubmit my data to TEA?
1. When can I begin to upload FitnessGram® data to TEA and what is the deadline?
Fitness assessment data will be due by 5:00 pm on Friday, June 14, 2013. The PFAI/TEASE system will open on March 1, 2013. Submission of campus and district data can occur any time between March 1 and June 14.
2. What physical fitness tests are required?
All six of the tests are required which consists of aerobic capacity, body composition, three on muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility tests.
3. What do I do about students who were absent on the testing day?
You should make every effort to have a makeup date.
4. We are a new school and don't have the FitnessGram® software. Where can I get it?
If your district has a new school that needs FitnessGram® software, please give Human Kinetics a call (1-800-747-4457) and ask to speak to Sarah Dean.
5. Do I need to have the web based version of FitnessGram®?
FitnessGram® 9.1, which is the web-based version, is available; however, districts are not required to purchase this software in order to upload data to TEA. You should contact your FitnessGram® sales rep, Sarah Dean, at Human Kinetics (1-800-747-4457) if you are interested in purchasing the web-based software.
6. How and where do I update my FitnessGram® software?
You will need to visit the FitnessGram® web site to update your software. Select your software version and click on the appropriate link and the update will begin downloading.
7. How do I get my PEIMS data into Excel so that I can save it as a .csv file and import it into FitnessGram?
Using Excel 2007
- Open a new Excel workbook.
- Go to the tab marked Data.
- Select From Text
- When the Import Text File window opens browse out to where you have saved the PEIMS text file, select it and choose Import.
- The Text Import Wizard Box will open and on Step 1 of 3 make sure that Delimited is selected then click on Next.
- Step 2 of 3 uncheck the Tab box and check the Comma box and then click on Next.
- Step 3 of 3 check General and then click on Finish.
- The Import Data box will come up, make sure Existing worksheet: is checked and that in the field it says =$A$1 and then click on OK.
- Your Excel spreadsheet will be populated with your PEIMS data.
- Select Save As, name the file and on the Save as type: select CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv)
If you have a prior version of Excel on the task bar you will choose get External Data and then go through steps 4 through 10. I you have difficulties or need further assistance you can call 1-800-747-4457 option 3 or email email@example.com.
8. How do I assign unassigned students, move or promote students?
Only security level “School” or “District” Administrators can promote students; Security level “Teacher” cannot. Detailed information can be found from the "Promoting and Assigning Students to New Classes" tutorial from FitnessGram®.
9. How many export files will there be for my district?
It depends on which version of FitnessGram® you have. The Stand-Alone and Small Network versions can have one to many export files. The District SQL Server version will only have one export file to send to TEA.
10. I'm having issues with FitnessGram®; who do I contact for support?
TEASE access to PFAI
11. Do I need a TEASE account?
Yes, you need a TEASE account in order to have access to the PFAI application. See the answer to question 12 below on how to apply for a TEASE account.
12. How do I apply for a TEASE account?
You can request from this web page a new TEA SE User Account; select "Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative" from the drop down menu. The TEASE tutorial for applying for the PFAI application gives detailed instructions on requesting access.
13. I have applied for PFAI on TEASE; why is it taking so long to get approved?
Once you have completed the application, your district's superintendent or TEASE district submitter must approve your request before staff at TEA can make the final approval. Approvals are made daily at TEA. Typically it is your district submitter not responding to your request.
14. I have a TEASE account; how do I get access to the PFAI application?
You will need to log into TEASE; click on [Add/Modify Application Access] button towards the top right of the screen and request the 'Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative' application from the drop down menu. There are more details on page 3 of the TEASE tutorial for applying for the PFAI application.
15. I have a TEASE account; how do I reset my password?
You need to have your user name or email address registered with the system in order to retrieve your password. Follow the instructions from the TEASE password recovery web site.
16. I've forgotten my User Name; how do I retrieve it?
Send an email to TEA from the email account registered with TEASE requesting your User Name.
PFAI Application: Data Upload
17. How do I get access to the PFAI application?
If you do not have a TEASE account see question 12. If you have a TEASE account see question 14.
18. How do I upload the data file to TEA?
Log into TEASE and select the PFAI Application. For a detailed explanation go to Step 5, page 31, of the Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) Application tutorial.
19. My campus name does not match; how do I resolve this?
There are detailed instructions on page 2 of the trouble shooting guide.
20. I have unassigned school; how do I resolve this?
When uploading data in the PFAI application, if any of your school names appear as "Unassigned School" on the campus match up page, you must go back into your FitnessGram data and correct the issue. You may not continue uploading data if you have campuses that appear as "Unassigned School". Visit the instructions on correcting this issue in the FITNESSGRAM software.
21. How do I resubmit my data to TEA?
The Stand-Alone and Small Network versions can upload multiple files of the same campus; however, the District SQL Server version will only allow one district file to be received by TEA. Therefore it is important that you have all your data collected and correct before uploading. If you absolutely need to re-upload your district file, contact Health and Safety. We can delete your data from the TEA database so you can resubmit.
For more information, contact: