The Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) is a program designed to gather physical fitness data on Texas students, grades 3-12, to determine the relationship between student academic achievement, attendance, obesity, disciplinary problems, and school meal programs.
Physical Fitness Assessment
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) was required to complete the following objectives:
- Annually assess the physical fitness of students in grades three or higher in a course that satisfies the curriculum requirements for physical education under Section 28.002(a)(2)(C)
- Adopt an assessment instrument to be used by school districts
- Compile the results of the physical fitness assessment captured by school districts and provide summary results to the TEA
- Analyze the results received for each school district to determine whether a relationship exists between student academic achievement levels, attendance levels, obesity, student discipline problems, and school meal programs. (TEC §§38.101- 38.104)
TEA has entered into an agreement with US Games to provide a statewide license to FITNESSGRAM® 10 (FG 10) at no cost to schools. More information about FITNESSGRAM® 10 and instructions on how to register for the site license are provided below.
Important Information for 2016-2017 School Year
The information provided below is critical for the proper implementation of the PFAI during the 2016-2017 school year. Please read the following information carefully.
- Physical fitness data must be submitted to the agency in one of two ways: 1) using the Physical Fitness Assessment Initiative (PFAI) application or 2) using FitnessGram® 10.
- Requirement for submitting physical fitness data to TEA:
- Frequently Asked Questions provide guidance on uploading physical fitness data to TEA.
- Physical fitness data is due Friday, June 9, 2017, by 5:00 pm.
- US Games will provide the annual update for the FG software (outside source) and for the web-based software on their website.
- For technical assistance related to FG 10 software, call 1-800-416-5139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For technical assistance for the PFAI application, email email@example.com.
- Schools will not be required to submit ethnicity data due to changes in federal and state ethnicity codes.
Visit the following sites for information on PFAI:
FitnessGram® Procedures Manual
Aggregated Fitness Assessment Results