December 9, 2016
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
SUBJECT:Updated Submission Information for Campuses and Charter Schools Required to Develop Turnaround Plans in 2016-17
The purpose of this correspondence is to provide updated information regarding requirements for campuses rated 2nd year Improvement Required (IR) in August 2016. In accordance with Texas Education Code (TEC) §39.107 and Title 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §97.1064, 2nd year IR campuses are required to develop a campus turnaround plan during the 2016-17 school year. This turnaround plan must be implemented if the campus does not receive a Met Standard rating when the 2017 campus ratings are released.
All 2nd year IR campuses are required to engage in all interventions as outlined in 19 TAC §97.1063 and TEC §39.106. Specific details on these intervention requirements can be found in the To the Administrator Addressed correspondence dated August 24, 2016.
To meet requirements for turnaround plan development under TEC and TAC, the Campus Intervention team (CIT) for 2nd year IR campuses oversees the following processes:
- The district must notify parents, community members, and stakeholders that the campus received an unacceptable rating for two consecutive years and request assistance in developing the campus turnaround plan as outlined in 19 TAC §97.1064(d).
- The campus will conduct a data analysis to identify a systemic root cause for the campus’ ongoing low performance. The results of this analysis will be submitted to the agency in the Intervention and Stage Activity Manager (ISAM) application by February 17, 2017. A template for this report will be posted to the Division of School Improvement (SI) turnaround website by the end of December 2016.
- The CIT, in conjunction with the Campus Leadership Team (CLT) and other stakeholders, will develop a plan to address the systemic root cause identified in the data analysis and needs assessment process and improve campus performance to a Met Standard rating within two school years. All turnaround plans will be completed in the 2016-17 Campus Turnaround Plan template.
- Before submitting the turnaround plan for approval by the board of trustees, the district must allow stakeholders to review the completed plan and provide feedback as outlined in 19 TAC §97.1064(e).
- Prior to submitting the turnaround plan to the agency, the board of trustees must approve the plan.
- The district will submit the campus turnaround plan to the agency in ISAM no later than April 17, 2017.
Updated submission requirements and dates can be found in the 2016-2017 Interventions and Submission requirements.
We encourage you to work closely with your regional ESC for technical assistance, resources, and guidance regarding the intervention requirements and training for all stakeholders.
Additional information about state accountability intervention requirements and resources are found on the Division of School Improvement website and the Texas Center for District and School Support website.
You can also receive email updates by joining the SI listserv. If you have further questions, you may contact the Division of School Improvement via email at SIdivision@tea.texas.gov or via phone at (512) 463-5226.
C. Lizette Ridgeway
Director, School Improvement