June 20, 2014
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
Subject: Reporting Requirements for Community and Student Engagement Indicators
Texas Education Code §39.0545, as added by House Bill 5, 83rd Texas Legislature, requires all districts to evaluate the district’s performance and the performance of each campus in community and student engagement. All school districts and charters are required to assign a performance rating of Exemplary, Recognized, Acceptable, or Unacceptable to the district and each campus for overall performance and the following categories:
• Fine arts
• Wellness and physical education
• Community and parental involvement
• The 21st Century Workforce Development program
• The second language acquisition program
• The digital learning environment
• Dropout prevention strategies
• Educational programs for gifted and talented students
Statute also requires that local committee(s) determine the criteria that the district uses to evaluate and assign a status regarding compliance with statutory reporting and policy requirements.
The commissioner’s rule on the reporting requirements for Community and Student Engagement was filed with the Texas Register on June 5, with an effective date of June 25. The adoption is to be published in the June 20 issue. The adopted rule can be viewed online at the following link: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=25769811926.
The locally-assigned district and campus community and student engagement ratings information will be collected through the Public Education Information Management System (PEIMS) starting with the Summer, 2014 collection. There are two significant deadlines and one special deadline associated with the submission of this information.
1. The Summer PEIMS submission reflecting the data from the 2013-2014 school year is first due no later than June 26.
2. The Summer PEIMS resubmission reflecting the data from the 2013-2014 school year is finally due no later than July 24.
3. If a school is operating on a year-round basis, the Summer PEIMS submission is first due no later than June 26, and the Summer PEIMS resubmission data is due no later than August 21.
The following summarizes the key points of the required PEIMS submission and addresses comments received during the public comment period for the adopted rule:
• Districts are required to assign locally-determined performance ratings and compliance statuses to the district and all campuses in the district.
• Districts are required to post the ratings and compliance statuses for the district and each campus on the school district’s website by Aug. 8.
• Budgeted (non-instructional) campuses, Disciplinary Alternative Education Program (DAEP) campuses, Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program (JJAEP) campuses, and facilities operated by the Texas Juvenile Justice Department are excluded.
• The statutory reporting and policy compliance code (C088) must be either a “0” or “1” and may not be left blank.
• The submissions must be made through PEIMS, and there are no alternative data collection systems.
• TEA is required to report the local performance ratings and compliance statuses on the TEA website no later than Oct. 1.
Questions about the PEIMS submission requirements can be addressed by the PEIMS (Statewide Education Data Systems) staff at TEA at 512-463-9229. Please contact the Division of Performance Reporting at 512-463-9704 if you have any further questions about the reporting requirements for the community and student engagement indicators.
Texas Education Agency
Department of Assessment and Accountability, Criss Cloudt, Associate Commissioner
Division of Performance Reporting, Shannon Housson, Division Director
Accountability and Reporting— Ester Regalado, Director