March 25, 2016
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED
Subject: Early Childhood Data System (ECDS) for Prekindergarten
The Early Childhood Data System (ECDS) is a state reporting feature in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS). The ECDS will be used to collect early childhood data to inform stakeholders, such as educators, parents, and legislators, about the effectiveness of prekindergarten programs in preparing children for success in kindergarten under Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.161. The ECDS voluntary prekindergarten data collection will be made available to public schools, Head Start programs, and licensed child care programs to submit prekindergarten demographic data for the 2015-2016 school year. Programs should report information for all four-year-old kindergarten-bound students who were enrolled in a program for four or more months in the 2015-2016 school year.
The prekindergarten (ECDS-PK) data submission will be available beginning March 28, 2016 and continuing through May 27, 2016.
The information below is designed to assist early childhood programs in the ECDS-PK data submission process.
Request Organization ID for Early Childhood Program for ECDS Participation
Private Head Start (non-ISD) and licensed child care programs:
- Request an organization ID for ECDS-PK participation. Please complete the attachment and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Once approved, you will be notified of your program’s assigned organization ID, which you will use when you request user roles for ECDS and when you submit your data.
- LEAs will use their county-district number and will not request an ID.
Request Roles for Submitting Data
- Four TSDS Portal user roles are needed for the ECDS data submission. The roles allow users to assign student Unique IDs, load ECDS data, approve the data, and submit help desk tickets. The same person may have multiple roles. LEAs may already have appropriate users with these roles from their kindergarten ECDS submission.
· The person designated to assign student Unique IDs for private programs will request the Uniq-ID Campus role via the TEA Login (TEAL) secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. All students for your organization must have an assigned Unique ID before loading any data for the ECDS data collection.
· The person designated to load data for private programs will request the Operational Data Storage (ODS) Campus Data Loader role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/.
· The person designated to approve the data will request the ECDS Data Approver role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/.
· The person designated to submit help desk tickets through the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS) will request the TIMS L1 Support role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/.
Data Entry Process
- Assign Unique IDs to all students being reported for the ECDS prekindergarten data submission.
- Download the ECDS Collection Template from the Texas Education Data Standards – TSDS Core Collections for the current year. Enter data for the kindergarten-bound students who were in your program for four or more months in the corresponding year in the Prekindergarten worksheet (PreK tab).
- Download the Client Side Validation/Conversion tool from the TSDS Portal to convert the organization's ECDS data to the TEDS Compliant XML interchanges and validate the converted data.
- ODS Data Loader or the ODS Campus Data Loader: Upload data via the DTU or manually by logging on to TSDS.
- ECDS Data Approver: Review the Completion Report and approve/finalize the Pre-K data submission.
Organizations should contact the regional education service centers (ESCs) or a certified vendor for ECDS training and support. All ESC staff have completed training for TSDS and data loading and will be able to assist in this process. Currently, organizations can begin entering ECDS-PK data in the ECDS Collection Template so that when the ECDS collection opens, the files will be ready to be uploaded.
If you have additional questions about the policy of TEC, §29.161, please contact TEA staff via email at email@example.com. All technical questions should be submitted via the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS), which is available within the ECDS application.
Standards and Programs