March 2, 2015
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED
Subject: Early Childhood Data System (ECDS) for Prekindergarten
The Early Childhood Data System (ECDS) is a new state reporting feature in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS). The ECDS will be used to collect early childhood data to inform stakeholders, such as educators, parents, and legislators, about the effectiveness of prekindergarten programs in preparing children for success in kindergarten under Texas Education Code (TEC) §29.161. The ECDS voluntary prekindergarten data collection will be made available to public schools and Head Start and licensed child care programs to submit prekindergarten demographic data for the 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015 school years. Programs should report information for all four-year-old kindergarten-bound students that were enrolled in a program for four or more months in the corresponding school years.
The prekindergarten (ECDS-PK) data submission will be available beginning March 2, 2015 and continuing through May 29, 2015.
The information below is designed to assist early childhood programs in the ECDS-PK data submission process.
Request Organization ID for Early Childhood Program for ECDS Participation
Private Head Start (non-ISD) and licensed child care programs:
• Request an organization ID for ECDS-PK participation. Please complete the attachment and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Once approved, you will be notified of your program’s assigned organization ID, which you will use when you request user roles for ECDS and when you submit your data.
• LEAs will use their county-district number and will not request an ID.
Request Roles for Submitting Data
• There are four TSDS Portal user roles needed for the ECDS data submission: one to assign student Unique ID's, one to load ECDS data, one to approve the data, and one to submit help desk tickets. The same person may have multiple roles. LEAs may already have appropriate users with these roles from their kindergarten ECDS submission.
• The person designated to assign student Unique IDs for private programs will request the Uniq-ID Campus role via the TEA Login (TEAL) secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. LEAs already have a person designated with the Uniq-ID role. All students for your organization must have an assigned Unique ID before loading any data for the ECDS data collection.
• The person designated to load data for private programs will request the ODS Campus Data Loader role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. LEAs may already have a person designated with the ODS Data Loader role.
• The person designated to approve the data will request the ECDS Data Approver role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/.
• The person designated to submit help desk tickets through the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS) will request the TIMS L1 Support role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/.
Data Entry Process
1. Assign Unique IDs to all students being reported for the ECDS prekindergarten data submission.
2. Download the ECDS Collection Template from the Texas Education Data Standards – TSDS Core Collections for the appropriate year. Note that you will submit data for three years and thus will need to download three separate templates. Enter data for the kindergarten-bound students who were in your program for four or more months in the corresponding year in the Prekindergarten worksheet (PreK tab).
3. Download the Client Side Validation/Conversion tool from the TSDS Portal to convert the organization's ECDS data to the TEDS Compliant XML interchanges and validate the converted data.
4. Upload data via the DTU or manually by logging on to TSDS with the ODS Data Loader or the ODS Campus Data Loader role, whichever applies to your organization.
5. Have the ECDS Data Approver review the Completion Report and approve/finalize the Pre-K data submission.
Organizations should contact their regional education service centers (ESC) or a certified vendor for ECDS training and support. Staff in all 20 ESCs have already completed training for TSDS and data loading and are able to assist in this process. Currently, organizations can begin entering their ECDS-PK data in the ECDS Collection Template so that when the ECDS collection opens, the files are ready to be uploaded.
• Texas Education Data Standards - TSDS Core Collections are broken out by year to include ECDS State Reporting Requirements and ECDS Collection Templates
Training and Support for prekindergarten programs
o ESC Contact Information: http://www.texasstudentdatasystem.org/TSDS/About/Deployment/Deployment/ESC_TSDS_Champions_1-11/
o Certified ESCs and Vendors: http://www.texasstudentdatasystem.org/TSDS/About/Training_and_Support/TSDS_Training___Support_Certified_Vendors___ESCs/
If you have additional questions about the policy of TEC, §29.161, please contact TEA staff via email at email@example.com. All technical questions should be submitted via the TSDS Incident Management System (TIMS), available within the ECDS application.
Standards and Programs
Attachment - PK Request to Participate Form