The Early Childhood Data System
(ECDS) is the state reporting feature in the Texas Student Data System (TSDS)
used to collect early childhood data to inform school districts, communities,
and early childhood programs about the effectiveness of pre-kindergarten
programs in preparing children for success in kindergarten under Texas
Education Code (TEC) §29.161. ECDS is available through December 15, 2014 to collect the required beginning of year (BOY)
kindergarten assessment scores.
Pursuant to TEC, §28.006 (Reading
Diagnosis) the superintendent, or a designee, of each school district and
open-enrollment charter school is required to electronically report each
kindergarten student’s raw score on kindergarten BOY reading instruments each
year. The kindergarten data collected under this provision will be used to provide
state, regional, district, and local aggregate reports of prekindergarten and
kindergarten programs and certain federal or government-subsidized child care
and education programs.
Districts administering one of the reading
assessments below will be required to provide BOY kindergarten data
electronically in the ECDS for the 2014-2015 school year.
- Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills,
Next (DIBELS Next)
- Istation’s Indicators of Progress (ISIP)
- Istation’s Indicators of Progress (ISIP-Spanish)
- PAPI English/Spanish
- Phonological Awareness Literacy Screening(PALS)
- Texas Primary Reading Inventory (TPRI)
- Tejas LEE
The kindergarten data submission
will be available through
December 15, 2014. There will not be an opportunity to submit kindergarten
data after the deadline.
The information below is designed to assist districts in the ECDS data
Data Entry Process
- The LEA
will request two user roles in the ECDS, one to load data and one to approve
person designated to load data will request the ODS Data Loader role via the
TEA Login (TEAL) secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. (LEAs participating in the TSDS studentGPS®
Dashboards early adoption already have a user with this role.) This is a TSDS
Portal role and also provides access to the TSDS Data Transfer Utility (DTU).
person designated to approve the data will request the ECDS Data
Approver role via the TEAL secure portal at https://pryor.tea.state.tx.us/. This is a TSDS Portal role.
- Download the ECDS Collection Template from
Education Data Standards Section 10 – TSDS Core Collections.
- If you are able to load Demographic and Assessment data using the TEDS Compliant interchanges, proceed to step 4.
- If you are able to load Demographic data using the TEDS Compliant interchanges, but not assessment interchanges for your designated BOY reading instrument, enter data on the Assessment worksheet of the template and proceed to step 3.
- Download the Client Side Validation/Conversion tool from the TSDS Portal to convert the LEA’s ECDS data to the TEDS Compliant XML interchanges and validate the converted data.
- Upload data via the DTU or manually by logging on to TSDS with the ODS Data Loader role.
- Have the ECDS Data Approver review the LEA Completion Report and complete the ECDS Data collection.
LEAs should contact their regional education service center (ESC) for
ECDS training and support. Staff in all 20 ESCs have completed training for
TSDS and data loading and are able to assist LEAs in this process. If an ESC
enters and/or loads the data for the district, district staff will still need
to approve/finalize data in ECDS and will need the ECDS Data Approver role to
TEDS Section 10 - TSDS Core Collections
State Reporting requirements
An LEA is exempt from the ECDS
state reporting if they are using assessments other than those listed above for
kindergarten student diagnostics. The LEA should notify TEA of its choice of
diagnostic by email and must also retain the assessment data should the TEA
decide to collect at a later date.
If you have additional questions
about the policy requirements of TEC, §28.006, please contact TEA staff via
email at email@example.com. All
technical questions should be submitted via the TSDS Incident Management System
(TIMS), available within the ECDS application.