July 8, 2016
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR ADDRESSED:
SUBJECT: Correction Window for STAAR Results and Changes to the 2016 State Accountability Ratings Release Schedule
The Texas Education Agency (TEA) and Educational Testing Service (ETS) are working together to ensure that school districts have an opportunity to fully verify the accuracy of data used for 2016 state accountability. As a result, ETS is conducting additional quality control checks, and districts will have additional time to make corrections to their State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) grades 3–8 and EOC data files.
ETS will include all corrections submitted by districts through July 20, 2016 in the final Consolidated Accountability File (CAF) submitted to TEA. This will include corrections to student ID information (first name, last name, PEIMS ID, and DOB), score code changes, and test language version updates submitted by districts through July 20, 2016 (an extension of the June 30 correction date provided previously). All rescore requests for the December 2015 and spring 2016 English I and English II assessments processed by July 20 will also be included.
Districts may begin immediately submitting corrections online for student ID information, score code changes, and test language versions using the existing processes outlined in the STAAR Assessment Management System Users’ Guide. Results for students attributed to the wrong campus can be correctly attributed using a standard template provided by ETS. This template will be available in the Help section of the STAAR Assessment Management System on Monday morning, July 11.
As a result of this additional opportunity to make corrections to district data files, TEA has modified the timeline for accountability releases. The following dates reflect this change:
- Friday, August 12, 2016: The 2016 accountability ratings are released to districts and campuses through the TEA Secure Environment (TEASE) website.
- Monday, August 15, 2016: Accountability ratings are released to the public on the TEA website.
- August 12–September 30, 2016: 2016 appeals application is available to districts through TEASE.
- By Friday, August 26, 2016: Accountability data tables are released through TEASE and to the public on the TEA website.
- By Friday, September 16, 2016: System safeguards, distinction designations, and accountability summaries are released to districts through TEASE and to the public on the TEA website.
- Friday, September 30, 2016: 2016 Appeals Deadline.
- December 2016: TEA notifies districts of accountability appeal decisions via mail and TEASE.
- December 2016: Final accountability ratings that reflect the outcome of any ratings appeals are released to the public on the TEA website.
- December 2016: List of campuses identified under PEG criteria for 2017–18 school year are released to the public on the TEA website.
- December 2016: 2015–16 Texas Academic Performance Reports are released to the public on the TEA website.
Separate correspondence concerning these schedule changes and their impact on related interventions and sanctions will be forthcoming from the Performance Monitoring and Intervention Division.
If you have questions about STAAR reporting, please contact the Student Assessment Division at 512-463-9536. If you have questions regarding state accountability, please contact the Performance Reporting Division at 512-463-9704.
Commissioner of Education