April 30, 2015
TO THE ADMINISTRATOR
SUBJECT: Certification Exam Reimbursement for School Year 2014-2015
The Texas Education Code,
Section 29.190, authorizes the Texas Education Agency (TEA) to pay school
districts an amount equal to the cost paid by the district for a certification
exam taken and passed by a student to qualify for a license or certificate. TEA
received a limited amount of funding for this purpose for the 2014-2015
Districts may apply for reimbursement of certification exams
taken by students during the 2014-2015 school year. The agency will reimburse
the cost of each exam up to $350 per exam under the following conditions:
- Each student must successfully complete a
career and technical education (CTE) program offered by the school district in
which the student is enrolled related to the certification exam or the student
must be enrolled in a special education program.
- Each student must have taken and passed
the certification exam to qualify for a license or certificate prior to July
- The district must have paid the fee for
the certification examination with state
or local funds only. Examination fees paid with Perkins funds are not eligible
certification exam passed by a student must be an end-of-program included on
the Performance Effectiveness Report (PER).
Applications may be submitted beginning
Monday, May 4, 2015 at 8:00 am, CDT. Applications will be reviewed and
reimbursements granted on a first-come,
first-served basis until the allocated funding has been expended.
- Carefully verify the accuracy and
eligibility of all students based on the criteria listed above. When you submit
the information to TEA, you are taking responsibility for the accuracy of the
information, including the eligibility status for each student.
- Download the 2014 Certification Exam Reimbursement Application Template attached
to this correspondence.
Compile information for all eligible
students into the 2014 Certification Exam Reimbursement Application.
Save your completed 2014 Certification Exam
Reimbursement Application with a new name, following this format: [district
name] 2014 CTE (i.e., Alphabet ISD 2014 CTE). (This is a very important step as
TEA will receive many of versions of this table from districts all over the
- Carefully organize and keep all
documentation, including proof of payment by the district using state or local
funds and verification that each student successfully completed a CTE program
and took and passed the certification exam, in case it is requested by TEA.
Should TEA have questions concerning the district application, the
district will be asked to submit this documentation. The documentation will
then be required for approval of the reimbursement.
- Email the completed 2014 Certification Exam Reimbursement Application (saved with the new file name) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Some additional requirements for this email are detailed below.
- Spreadsheets must be submitted through Accellion, a secure file transfer protocol. Please visit the following webpage for more information: http://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/Contact_Us/Sending_Files_Securely_to_TEA/.
- The email must come from the email address of the superintendent-appointed district coordinator who will be the responsible party. This is the person taking responsibility for all information in the application.
- The email must have the following as the subject line: [district name] 2014 CTE.
- The body of the email must contain the following statement of certification:
Watch for emailed verification of the submission within five (5) business days. Should such verification not arrive within five business days, please contact the CTE Unit in the Curriculum Division by email at email@example.com or by phone at (512) 463-9581.
I, _________[name]____________,__[title]___ for _____[district name]____, have verified the information submitted to the Texas Education Agency via this email and attached document and certify its truth and accuracy.
Do not mail or fax the information to TEA. Mailed or faxed applications will be returned to the sender.
Attachment: 2014 Certification Exam Reimbursement Application Template