Recommendation for Appointments to the
Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustees
January 31, 2014
COMMITTEE ON SCHOOL INITIATIVES: ACTION
STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION: CONSENT
SUMMARY: This item provides an opportunity for board consideration of appointments to the board of trustees of the Boys Ranch Independent School District. The appointments are necessary due to the expiration of the term of office for two board members.
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: Texas Education Code (TEC), §11.352, and 19 Texas Administrative Code (TAC) §61.2.
PREVIOUS BOARD ACTION: No previous board action has occurred on this item.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION AND SIGNIFICANT ISSUES: The State Board of Education is statutorily authorized to appoint board members for independent school districts created under its former authority to establish school districts. Trustees so appointed shall hold office until their successors are appointed and qualified.
The following process is followed when selecting a board member for the Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustee:
• Trustee submits notice of resignation to the school board president.
• School board president advises the chief executive officer of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch of resignation and potential replacements.
• CEO of Cal Farley’s considers potential candidates based on their general understanding of the mission of Cal Farley’s and the purpose of the Boys Ranch Independent School District, as well as experience in non-profit business, social services, and/or education.
• CEO of Cal Farley’s discusses potential candidates with the BRISD school board president and they come to an agreement on a suitable candidate.
• CEO interviews and discusses potential appointment with the trustee candidate.
• Assuming the candidate desires the position, CEO of Cal Farley’s submits recommended candidate to the State Board of Education.
Recently, Mr. Dan Adams, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch, has notified the commissioner of vacancies which exist on the board of trustees of the Boys Ranch Independent School District. The vacancies are due to the expiration of the term of office of Mr. Mark Strother and Ms. Sharon Miner. The CEO has requested that Mr. Mark Strother and Ms. Sharon Miner be reappointed to fill these vacancies. Supporting documentation on the recommended candidates is included.
FISCAL IMPACT: No fiscal impact to the state will occur.
PUBLIC AND STUDENT BENEFIT: Both the public and the students will benefit by having qualified individuals appointed to the board of trustees.
PROCEDURAL AND REPORTING IMPLICATIONS: No procedural or reporting implications exist.
PUBLIC COMMENTS: No public comments are presented.
ALTERNATIVES: No alternatives are suggested.
OTHER COMMENTS AND RELATED ISSUES: No other comments or related issues are presented.
MOTION TO BE CONSIDERED: The State Board of Education:
Based on Mr. Dan Adams recommendation, approve the appointment of both candidates to serve a two-year term of office, from January 31, 2014 through January 30, 2016, on the Boys Ranch Independent School District Board of Trustees.
Staff Member Responsible:
Ronald Rowell, Director of School Governance
I. Correspondence from Mr. Dan Adams, President and Chief Executive Officer of Cal Farley’s Boys Ranch, which includes biographical information and supporting materials for the nominees